Thursday, December 30, 2010

How Long Will It Take?

Every day I get the pleasure of working with people and seeing the miracle of chiropractic bring life back to them. I find my work very rewarding and there are still times I am even amazed at the power of chiropractic!

The hardest part of my job is when I meet someone that is frustrated, suffering or in pain. Many times they just didn't know where to look first and others have put up with it for such a long time they thought it was 'normal'.

Either way, there are times I get asked this question, "How long will it take to 'fix' my problem?" People don't realize what a loaded question this is. The first thing we need to ask ourselves is, "How long did it take for this problem to get there?" This doesn't mean when did you first notice pain. This means, when did your spine first start to wear down and produce this injury? Realistically, I can not give an exact time frame as to when a problem will be 'fixed'. What I can tell you is in most cases our problems started to take root in very early childhood. So, if you have never been to a chiropractor before or you only went here and there when something hurt, it will probably take a while help get it under control and we might not even be able to 'fix' the problem.

I had a conversation about this with a patient the other day who was obviously frustrated that the pain she has been having for a few weeks isn't completely gone after a handful of adjustments. Her spine is not even close to ideal position, she has probably had the 'problem' for over 30 years and has never had her spine looked at by a chiropractor. I had to remind her that I told her it wasn't going to go away overnight. It was sad to see her so frustrated and missing the fact that had in fact made a lot of progress.

Chiropractic is an amazing thing, but its strong suit is not an immediate result. Chiropractic works best if you start early to prevent problems from starting in the first place. I love it when I have a whole family come in for their appointment, not because something hurts but because they want to live a healthy life!!

Expect Miracles!! Be Realistic!!

Watching Your Back,

Dr. Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment