Thursday, December 9, 2010

When Should I Start?

I love working with pregnant women and seeing them through their pregnancy. Many women ask me, "Should I get adjusted during pregnancy and if so, when should I start?" Those of you that know me can probably guess what my answer is. ABSOLUTELY! Ideally we should be under chiropractic care from birth.

Our nervous system is working overtime during pregnancy making sure the baby is developing perfectly. If there is ever a time we want our nerves to be perfect, it is when it is in control of developing another human being. To answer that question specifically, we should begin chiropractic care prior to getting pregnant so that our body is at its highest function from the time of fertilization.

Aside from ideal fetal development, chiropractic care also provides other benefits during pregnancy. It keeps our spine flexible and balanced, allows the pelvis to be in ideal position for the baby to pass through the birth canal during birth. It keeps the internal organs functioning well and removes postural stresses put on the body. Chiropractic care can help maintain pregnancy, control nausea and vomiting, back pain and help with labor.

For years I have been teaching women the benefit of being under chiropractic care during pregnancy but after recently being pregnant and having my first child, I don't know how women go through pregnancy and labor without chiropractic adjustments!

The best gift you can give your developing child is to make sure your spine is taken care of during pregnancy. The most important piece is not the aches and pains that go along with pregnancy, it is all the hard work your body is doing, which you can not see or feel...the development of your child!

There is nothing better than meeting a beautiful child at the end of this journey and then checking their spine after birth to make sure they start off life in perfect health!



Watching Your Back,

Dr. Heather L. Giesen

No comments:

Post a Comment