Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sleep Away Back Pain?

From: Dr. Heather L. Giesen
December 1, 2010


Dear Patients and Friends,

If you have back pain, there is an interesting study you should know about. It might help you get out of pain – while you sleep.

Here’s what it’s all about: If you don’t know how important sleep is, you should. This month’s newsletter mentions the results of a study that found subjects who slept 8.5 hours a night lost 55% more weight than subjects who only slept 5.5 hours per night.

Many studies have shown there are negative effects on your health if you don’t get enough sleep. Now, a new study says the bed you choose is very important and affects back pain.

That may be nothing new to you since you probably spend approximately one-third of your life sleeping (or trying to sleep). It makes complete sense that your bed will affect back pain.

But what may be new to you is what this study said about which bed you should choose.

The study said it is indeed possible to increase the quality of sleep and reduce pain and discomfort in your back depending on the sleep surface (bed) you use. And the sleep surface you choose should be based on the position you sleep in.

This is much different than just prescribing one bed for all cases of back pain. If the results of this study hold true – different beds should be used for different positions.

So, if you have back pain, it is a good idea to speak with your Chiropractor and figure out which type of bed will be best for you. And if you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at 952-758-8760.

Getting quality sleep might not only relieve your back pain… it might help you live a healthier, happier life.

Sincerely,

Dr. Heather L. Giesen, D.C.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing something about choosing the right beds. I live somewhere near Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center here in Minnesota, and I've consulted good chiropractors just like the two of you so that I know which bed I will choose for my lower back pains. The chiropractor (Brooklyn Center, MN based) told me that I should get the mattresses with the back supports. Another chiropractor (Brooklyn Park, MN based) told me the same, but he added that whatever is comfortable for me is the right one, and that I don't have to force myself to become comfortable on a prescribed type of mattress.

    Again, thanks for your advice! I liked the part about losing weight. Now I should really get enough sleep.

    ReplyDelete